Hello everybody. I began this blog because as I was searching around about cloth diapers, I got a little bit confused, so I said to share my experience with anyone who has questions, just like me. Everyhting started one and a half year ago...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer vacation with cloth diapers

Have you ever been on a summer vacation with cloth diapers? For me this was my first time, so I want to share the experience with you.

I packed our things for 3 days in a house next to the seaside, in Greece of'course! I decided to take only cloth diapers with me. I had to support my decision of using them and I wanted to contact the experiment and face the challenge! I was very curious of what to expect. 

To begin with:

  • I took with me 17 diapers (closed with the liners and everything) and 3 wet bags, just in case (I needed one for the wet bathing suits). Imagine the volume of all these! 
  • The minute we arrived at the house, I searched for the perfect spot for the dirty diapers: no sun and not close to anyone or anything that can smell them.
  • I asked to make sure if the sewage system was capable of accepting lots of paper. As I expected it did not, so I had to through the liners with all their dirty carriage (the apricot jam...) elsewhere. 
The all experience was not at all bad. Let alone that I love watching my daughter with her little dress and the flowers underneath.
My only difficulty was that she did the...hard stuff on every beach we visited! If it was organized I had to through the liner on the rubbish bin, otherwise we could be blamed for calling earlier the "greedy" (the septic tank)!

On the not organised beaches I had to carry with me the "valuable" carriage and deal with it later at home. Lousy experience! This was my one and only problem!

I did not mind at the end of the vacation that I had to carry with me the dirty laundry! Thank god my husband did not mind too! 

When I returned at my home, the first thing I did was putting the diapers in the laundry machine. Washing at 60 degrees with detergent form the prewash. Beware of the ammonia because I almost fell down when I opened the mesh bag! No matter how much you try to avoid heating, with 40 degrees it is difficult to keep the dirty diapers cool!

To conclude, I deffinitely declare that I am going to do it again!
Either we use cloth diapers or not!
How about you?

No comments: